[CentOS] scary messages from autoconf

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Nov 27 21:24:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 11/27/12 8:31 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> That said, 'twould be nice to have a clue
>> what went wrong with the Bingo script.
>
> it was written for a specific ubuntu/debian flavor and not tested
> elsewhere.   autoconf is a gnarly thing, the scripts for it need to be
> carefully developed, just because what you do with it works on a single
> platform does NOT automatically mean it will work on all platforms.

I'd thought that was the point of autoconf.

> I note there's a source package on that AVR site, it might be worth
> trying to build from there.   optimally, get that to build, then package
> it as an RPM, and get it into one of the more popular repositories, and
> all that 'repos are bad' nonsense goes away.

Maybe later, much later.
I've never built an RPM.
The only real compiler I've built is avr-gcc from the Bingo scripts.
I've battled autoconf-generated scripts before and lost every time.
That said, I have managed to build X from source.
I just followed directions and voila, there it was.
I did look at its build system.
It was a horror.
Had it not worked perfectly, I would have been out of luck.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily