[CentOS] Possible repo polllution

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Nov 30 15:42:02 UTC 2012

On 11/30/2012 09:13 AM, Mike Burger wrote:
>> From: Tony Molloy <tony.molloy at ul.ie>
>>> Is this a case a repo pollution, it can't be necessary to have i386
>>> packages in the x86_64 updates. Just checking before I delete these
>>> packages.
>> You need them to run i386 apps on a x86_64.
>> JD
> True, but i386/i686 packages are usually still only located in the 32bit
> repo directories...they're not usually intermingled in the actual download
> directories, last I checked.

It has been being done this way since x86_64 was first released by Red
Hat ... See Fedora Core 1's x86_64 updates directory and search for i386.

They still do it that way in their latest release:

We have been doing it that way since our first release as well:

It is just how multilib is done in Red Hat type distributions.