[CentOS] advice on storage for media storage/streaming server

Sun Nov 4 08:27:29 UTC 2012
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

On 04.11.2012 03:41, Phil Savoie wrote:
> Hello,

Hi!

> I would like to use centos 6.3 to build a media server with 7 2TB
> drives
> and would like suggestions on the storage aspect.  This is going to
> run
> mediaplex and function only as a media storage/streaming server.
>
> 1. If I didn't care about redundancy, would ext4 handle the size of a
> raid 0?

Yes, but you'd be pretty close to the 16TB limit RedHat put in. I would
use XFS for the big partitions instead.

> 2. If I did go with the redundancy, what raid level should I use?

Depends. If you care much about the space you can use raid5 or 6 (not
sure mdadm supports 6); if you want more reliability go for RAID10.

> 3. Should I use LVM?  Why?

I would, particularly because it allows one to take snapshots.

Nux!
www.nux.ro