[CentOS] Install CentOS 6.3 to partitionable mdadm array

Wed Nov 7 16:01:47 UTC 2012
Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro>

On 07/11/12 15:43, Hal Martin wrote:

> The software we're testing does not support being installed on LVM, so
> if we want vendor support we need to install it on a partition.
>
> Hardware RAID is going to be used for deployment, but for lab testing
> we were hoping to use mdadm and avoid buying expensive RAID
> controllers.
>
> Creating multiple RAID arrays looks like the only supported solution,
> although it's quite annoying when partitonable md support would make
> it much simpler.
>
> Was it ever supported upstream? Or did it fall out of favour when LVM
> became a popular installation method?
>
> -Hal

Then the solution is simple, run the server with a traditional,
supported software raid and install a virtual machine on top of it. ;-)

AFAIK partitionable md has never been supported, by any distribution,
not only by RedHat.