[CentOS] Please help -- centos 5.8: does the slapcat still breaks ldap data integrity?

Tue Nov 13 15:14:27 UTC 2012
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Nov 13, 2012, at 12:45 AM, Gelen James wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I've a small project to backup and restore openldap servers online on centos 5.8. Basically I don't have the luxury to shutdown the ldap server, then backup whole /var/lib/ldap/, but have to backup online with slapcat or similar command line tool.
>
> The major concern of using slapcat is the warning below, which was excerpt from link http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s1-ldap-daemonsutils.html
>
> You must stop slapd by issuing the /sbin/service ldap stop command before using slapadd, slapcat or slapindex. Otherwise, the integrity of the LDAP directory is at risk.
> Does the limitation of slapcat -- stop ldap first -- still exist? Please shed a light onto this. Thanks.
----
depends on what you are using for backend. If you are still using ldbm (you definitely shouldn't at this point), then yes, it must be stopped before doing the slapcat. If you are using bdb or hdb, no… it's not necessary to stop the service first.

Craig