[CentOS] Problem installing 6.3 on HP8540w laptop

Thu Nov 15 18:50:53 UTC 2012

david wrote:

> The Centos installation I chose was the "NetInstall".  The
> installation process identified eth0, I selected IPV4 DHCP, disabled
> IPV6, and successfully completed the install of "desktop" using the
> wired connection through my home network.  The wireless was turned
> off.  The ethernet controller shows up in Windows with the name "Intel
> 8255LM".
>
> When the reboot occurred after installation, the Ethernet did not
> work.  The "ifconfig eth0" command showed no IP address.  Where do I
> go from here?

Hi, david. First question: does the laptop have a physical switch on the
side that turns on/off wifi, the way Dells do?

Try an lspci, and see if it shows.

If it does, wireless will be wlan0, usually. Why your wired ethernet's not
working - look at dmesg and/or /var/log/messages, and see if the driver
was loaded. Next, look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, and see if
ifcfg-eth0 is turned on at boot.

     mark