[CentOS] One screen disabled on login with NVIDIA TwinView

Fri Nov 16 10:40:50 UTC 2012
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

On 16/11/12 10:59, Toralf Lund wrote:
> On 16/11/12 10:28, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:
>> Toralf Lund wrote:

>>> Hmmm. I've checked
>>> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/304.60/README/xconfigoptions.html,
>>> but not really found anything that seems to be related to this. Also,
>>> the problem is not really making the monitor the primary, but rather to
>>> make sure it stays enabled. In a sense, it is a "disabled primary" once
>>> I log in.
>> does it happen with a different user account?
> Good question. I was quite convinced that it did, but I can't have
> tested properly, because when I log into another account now, I find
> that everything is OK. That's a bit embarrassing...
>
>> since it happens on login it might be something in ~/.nvidia-settings-rc ?
> It's not ~/.nvidia-settings-rc, though, as I get this problem even after
> copying the file from a different user (without this problem) or when
> just removing it (and other accounts work just fine without one.) Weird...
Found it! It turns out that it's actually the GNOME desktop resolution
handling that's doing this, i.e. the setting stored in
/desktop/gnome/screen/default/0 under "gconf". The problem went away
after I simply opened Preferences->Screen Resolution, and confirmed the
current setting of 3600x1200 by pressing Apply - after re-enabling the
screen. Not sure what the "stored" setting originally was. I'm quite
sure I haven't touched it in a long time, though, so *something* related
to its handling must have changed after an upgrade. Also, all entries
but 3600x1200 (which is the max total display area with both screens) in
the config tool correspond to pixel counts that may be displayed on the
laptop screen, and selecting any of them will disable the external monitor.

- Toralf