[CentOS] How can I prevent apache from mounting all home directories? [SOLVED]

Tue Nov 20 20:17:33 UTC 2012
Alfred von Campe <alfred at von-campe.com>

On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:14, I wrote:

> We use automounted user home directories on our CentOS 6.3 desktops, and on the desktops on which we start apache, I have noticed that all 900+ home directories listed in NIS get (and stay!) mounted.  If I don't start apache, this doesn't happen.

After trying and failing to reproduce the problem on a test RHEL 6.3 server, I compared the apache configs on the two servers and noticed one difference: the CentOS system had mod_dnssd installed.  After doing a "yum erase mod_dnssd" (which also removed gnome-user-share) the issue went away.  Problem SOLVED!

Alfred