[CentOS] Long time away for Centos installs, need some info

Fri Nov 23 19:30:26 UTC 2012
Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca>

> I have not touched my Centos systems for over a year; it is time to get
> current to do some new, interesting things.
>
> So of course, 6.3, but which install?
>
> I run a local repo that I rsync from a mirror near me.  So I believe I
> can use the Netinstall iso, but which one?
>
> How do I determine if I have a i386 or x86_64 processor?
>
> If x86_64 how do I determine if I use EFI or not?

Almost all systems sold in the last few years are 64 bit, so if in
doubt, try installing. If the CPU is 32 bit only, it'll fail to install
almost immediately. If you know what CPU you have, you can look it up on
the manufacturer's website or on wikipedia to see what features it has.

As for what media, well, that depends entirely on how often you plan to
(re)install and what your bandwidth costs. It also depends on what you
want to use CentOS for. For me, I usually use the minimal install and
just install what I need, but it's not at all user friendly as almost
nothing but the bare system is installed (not even man pages!).

Welcome back :)

--
Digimer
access to education?