[CentOS] scary messages from autoconf

Tue Nov 27 16:31:12 UTC 2012
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

*Clawson* wrote:
> You are very unwise to use repo versions of avr-gcc as the maintainers
don't seem skilled enough to know which are the important patches to be
applied when they build.

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012, John R Pierce wrote:

> that hasn't been updated in a year, and at the bottom references
> http://www.atmel.com/tools/ATMELAVRTOOLCHAINFORLINUX.aspx
> for the current version...

So far as I can tell, neither derives from the other.

> the release notes say that works on RHEL4/5, Fedora 12 or 13, Suse
> 11.2,11.3, Ubutntu various... and that it may well work with others.
> it probably works with CentOS6.

And I'll probably end up using it.
At the moment, I'm waiting for the e-mail that
Atmel's registration system supposedly sent me.

That said, 'twould be nice to have a clue
what went wrong with the Bingo script.

'Twould be nice just to know what the messages mean.
I get the impression that output like this are indications of a problem that
is not specific to the particular software that I was trying to compile:
autoconf wrote:
> checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
> checking limits.h usability... yes
> checking limits.h presence... no
> configure: WARNING: limits.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by the preprocessor!
> configure: WARNING: limits.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
> checking for limits.h... yes
> checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
> checking sys/time.h usability... yes

limits.h:
usable, not present, accepted by the compiler, rejected by the preprocessor.

Huh?

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily