[CentOS] gnome-desktop on Centos-6.3

James B. Byrne

byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Thu Oct 4 14:42:25 UTC 2012

I have installed a minimal kvm host system.  I wish to provide a
graphical login on the host. To this end I performed the following
group installs:

yum groupinstall "general purpose desktop" "x windows system"

I can login on the host system as root and then run 'startx' which
gives me a desktop, sort of.  The top menu bar with the various tool
sets is missing as is the lower status bar.  I get the same result
when I log in as a non privileged user.  Am I missing some other
package which is required to provide these?  I installed gnome-desktop
directly but this action produced no visible change in behaviour.

Canada  L8E 3C3