[CentOS] Installing a gnome-desktop on CENTOS-6.3 following minimal system install.

Phil Dobbin bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 10:43:37 EDT 2012

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Nux! wrote:
>>> Try:
>>> yum groupinstall "Desktop" "Desktop Platform" "General Purpose
>>> Desktop"
>>> Btw, you can't really have "minimal" AND "gnome" ... :-)
> <snip>
> Yeah... they keep changing the group names, for no good reason AFAIK. For
> example, between 5 and 6, they changed KDE from "KDE (K Desktop
> Environment)" to  "KDE Desktop". Note that we groupinstall "X Window
> System" and Desktop, and *then* the KDE; I'd assume gnome was the same.
>        mark, confirmed gnome disliker (and hater of gnome 3)

If I require a minimal desktop in CentOS 6, I usually use the net
install ISO & when the time comes, just select 'minimal desktop' &
there's a small(ish) gnome desktop installed but without all the major

Granted this minimal desktop does include Firefox but then again, if I
want a desktop environment, I usually want Firefox.

currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise