[CentOS] X/Display resolution configuration

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Mon Oct 8 18:56:45 UTC 2012

On Monday, October 08, 2012 01:20:41 PM Mike Watson wrote:
> I've installed CentOS 6.3 on a new system. I've a nagging problem that
> I'm trying to fix---the screen resolution changes. I've a flat screen
> monitor that has 1600x900 capability. However when I logout and then log
> back in the resolution changes to 1280x1024.  When I looked at the
> xorg.conf.d directory it was empty---both in /etc and in /usr/share.
>
> Where is xorg.conf and it's monitor section now? BTW, I'm use KDE.

Double check your cable.  I ran into a widescreen situation a whle back where
one cable didn't work, but the cable that came with the monitor did.  The EDID
value comes from the monitor itself, and the cable must be able to support
that in order for the automatic resolution code to properly figure out the
resolution.

In the case I mention, even manually setting the resolution in xorg.conf
didn't work, since the EDID was mangled by the cable.