[CentOS] Samsung Galaxy 3 and Centos

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Tue Oct 9 22:00:49 UTC 2012

On 10/03/2012 01:17 PM, Nux! wrote:
> On 02.10.2012 23:29, Frank Cox wrote:
>> My cell phone provider just sent me a letter stating that my 3 year
>> contract is
>> up and they will give me a Samsung Galaxy 3 if I will sign a new
>> contract.
>>
>> I'm wondering how well (or if) that phone will work with Centos 6.
>> My
>> existing Samsung phone (can't remember the model number) doesn't
>> integrate well
>> or at all with Centos; whenever I plug it into the computer it finds
>> the phone
>> but apparently can't actually communicate with it so I can't transfer
>> data back
>> and forth without having to remove the memory card from the phone and
>> copy
>> information directly to and from that.  Which is a nuisance.
>
> Hi,
>
> It should work fine; this phone I think supports native usb storage,
> just connect the phone with a usb cable and go in Settings somewhere and
> activate the usb storage feature. That's how I use my Samsung ave II and
> my better half's Galaxy Mini, at least.
> There's also Bluetooth if you're looking at transferring files. In
> addition to that you can install apps on the phone that can talk CIFS
> and FTP..
>
> So no need to really mess with the SD card.

I use HTC Wildfire (Android) with CentOS 6 via USB. It recognizes it
like any other USB Flash drive.

Also, I connect via Home wireless and use FSync app to synchronize
specific folders from FTP server on CentOS and Android.

But there is also Total Commander for Android and it's plugins for
Windows File sharing (Samba on CentOS 6), FTP and WebDAV. Total
Commander is two-panel file manager that I find is THE BEST file manager
on ANY platform, EVER.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)