[CentOS] Hostname

Phil Dobbin

bukowskiscat at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 07:15:56 UTC 2012

Hi, all.

A very basic question but I'm wondering if anyone could give me a
definitive answer.

I recently installed CentOS 6.3 x86_64 on a Dell Poweredge 1850 (minimal
desktop) & after setting the hostname during the install, when bringing
up a terminal prompt, I'm still getting `localhost.localdomain` instead
of the hostname I set during install (interestingly enough both parted &
fdisk both show the correct hostname).

After Googling the subject somewhat, it seems to be no definitive,
correct way that everybody agreed upon.

I'm away from my CentOS boxes for the morning (including the one in
question) but on my Fedora 17 laptop, I notice that the given hostname
is set in `/etc/sysconfig/network` but in `/etc/hosts`, it's
`localhost.localdomain` & `localhost`.

If I set my errant CentOS box the same way (all the others I have are
OK), will this do the trick?

Sorry for the basicness of the question but I'll be disabling the screen
capabilities of the server this afternoon & putting her in situ & would
like to get it right.

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,

  Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.3, Debian Squeeze, Fedora Beefy, OS X Snow Leopard, Ubuntu Precise