[CentOS] Upgrading 5.5 to 5.8 with yum?

Akemi Yagi amyagi at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 16:37:54 EDT 2012

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Jeff Layton <laytonjb at att.net> wrote:
>   Good afternoon,
> I've been running a CentOS 5.5 system for a while using some
> Nvidia drivers for an older Nvidia card (GeForce 6200 card).
> I'd like to upgrade to 5.8 using yum but I was curious if anyone
> has done this using yum? Any gotchas? (I can handle the
> Nvidia upgrade part once the system is upgraded).

'yum update' should do the job. You might want to do some stepwise
updates according to :

yum clean all
yum update glibc\*
yum update yum\* rpm\* pyth\*
yum clean all
yum update mkinitrd nash
yum update selinux\*
yum update
shutdown -r now

> BTW - I'm using driver 256.35 and looking at Nvidia's site
> it looks like 304.51 is the latest (I'm running 32-bit believe it
> or not).

I suggest you look into ELRepo's kmod-nvidia :

(You need to find the version that works for your device)

Once installed, there is no need to rebuild for each kernel update.