[CentOS] setting up postfix

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 15:14:23 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:49 AM
>>Subject: Re: [CentOS] setting up postfix
>  >
>>Larry Martell wrote:
>> This should be an easy one. I'm trying to get postfix going. I've
>> never done this before. I followed the directions at
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix. I opened port 25:
>>
>> iptables -I INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 25 -j ACCEPT
>>
>> But I don't receive the mail. In a file in /var/spool/postfix/defer I see:
>>
>> alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[2607:f8b0:400d:c00::1a]:25: Network is
>> unreachable
>>
>> Have I missed a step or done something wrong?
>>

> Have you tested to see if tcp/25 is really open?  From another system:
>
> $ telnet ip.of.postfix.box 25
>
> Do you get a sendmail/postfix message of some sort?

No, I can't connect:

# telnet 10.188.36.207 25
Connecting To 10.188.36.207...Could not open connection to the host, on port 25:
 Connect failed

iptables shows that port open:

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:smtp

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:smtp