[CentOS] OpenLDAP on CentOS 6.3

Patrick Lists centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 19 19:33:34 UTC 2012

On 10/19/2012 08:28 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: Keith Keller Sent: October 16, 2012 22:33
>> On 2012-10-17, Patrick Lists <centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> On the mailing list it was recommended by several subscribers to
>>> upgrade to the latest openldap release (2.4.33) due to the many
>>> fixes in the dynamic config backend and the logic that can
>>> transform an slapd.conf into a cn=config version.
>>
>> I could be wrong, but I think this logic already exists in the latest
>> OpenLDAP package in CentOS 6.3.  At least, I tried it myself
>> last week--

According to the OpenLDAP devs there are quite a few bugs in that
release so YMMV.

>> it's basically -f /path/to/old/slapd.conf -F /etc/openldap/slapd.d/ or
>> something like that.  It seemed to work (though I've done only basic
>> testing on it so far).
>
> Thank you but without having a working slapd.conf (or for that mater
> any slapd.conf) file I will not be able to take advantage of this.

You need to create the slapd.conf yourself tailored to your needs.
However there is an example in /usr/share/openldap-servers/. Also have a
look in the openldap RPM in the %post section where you can see the
steps it does when creating the dynamic backend config (you can easily
open an RPM with mc). Since you would migrate a slapd.conf into a
cn=config version you might as well start with a slapd-config type of
config which is aimed at cn=config setups. Both the man pages and the
Admin Guide have all the info. Iirc there are also some examples in the
openldap sources so you may want to get those and check it out.

Hang in there. I found all this cn=config stuff completely confusing but
eventually figured out a basic setup with the help of the man pages,
Admin Guide, Google and sheer luck no doubt :)

Regards,
Patrick