[CentOS] Permission "nfsnobody" and mounting an nfs share in a datacenter

Jobst Schmalenbach

jobst at barrett.com.au
Tue Oct 23 01:21:19 UTC 2012

Hi

A datacenter I use provides mountable nfs shares that are provided
through a subnet, the only person having access to the nfs share is me.

If I do this:

  mount -t nfs 192.168.53.21:/USERNAME /mnt/share/

then I get the share:

  [root at hostname /mnt/share] #>ls -la
  total 12
  drwxrwxrwx 2 nfsnobody nfsnobody 4096 Oct  9 18:04 .
  drwxr-xr-x 7 root      root      4096 Oct  9 17:55 ..
  -rw-r--r-- 1 nfsnobody nfsnobody    0 Oct  9 18:01 test

I want to use this as a snapshot backup drive, so I need to
have the permission on the backup the same as on the source,
e.g.

  rsync -avH /bin /mnt/share

Off course this fails:

  rsync: chown "/mnt/share/bin/.zcat.WDISFU" failed: Operation not permitted (1)

How can I make this possible?

Jobst

--
The reason you cannot think about eternity is because the intellect which is doing the thinking is an instrument of time and nothing else.