[CentOS] Completely automatic yum updating on Centos 6

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Oct 25 20:01:16 UTC 2012

> I am about to set up a computer with Centos 6 that I'll probably never see
> again.  I don't want to give out the root password, but I would like to
> have it
> automatically and transparently update itself.
>
> What is the best way to do this?  I have been looking at webpages about
> yum-cron
> and yum-updatesd but nothing directly addresses Centos 6 and it appears
> that at
> least one of those two methods is now obsolete.

While you could certainly set a regular cron job I wouldn't recommend
doing this. While a great many updates are non-intrusive, some could cause
applications to stop working properly until restarted.

Then there's kernel updates, which require reboots, but which do not
happen automatically upon installation...and if the system does not
reboot, properly after that update, someone is going to have to lay hands
on the keyboard.

Point being that it's probably better if someone plans on running an
attended, periodic update.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever just
stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1