[CentOS] Completely automatic yum updating on Centos 6

Mogens Kjaer mk at lemo.dk
Fri Oct 26 05:19:34 EDT 2012

On 10/25/2012 10:01 PM, Mike Burger wrote:
> Then there's kernel updates, which require reboots, but which do not
> happen automatically upon installation...and if the system does not
> reboot, properly after that update, someone is going to have to lay hands
> on the keyboard.

I have machines with /etc/cron.weekly/newkernel with:

/usr/bin/yum list recent | /bin/fgrep -q kernel

if [ $EXITVALUE == 0 ]; then

exit 0

for automatic reboot Sunday morning if a new kernel was
installed during the week.

It has worked for years.

On the other hand, I've seen other machines with CentOS 6 where
the network had stopped working after the reboot. Physical
access - or in my case HP's iLo - saved it by rebooting the
previous kernel (it was a problem with some NIC's and

I had done a test by booting the new kernel on the machine
which is a mirror of this machine, without problems. They
are identical - except for the network setup (no VLAN on
the mirror).

Mogens Kjaer, mk at lemo.dk