[CentOS] Completely automatic yum updating on Centos 6

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 14:38:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 5:19 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:
> From: Frank Cox <theatre at melvilletheatre.com>
>
>> I am about to set up a computer with Centos 6 that I'll probably never see
>> again.  I don't want to give out the root password, but I would like to have
>> it automatically and transparently update itself.
>
> What about .rpmsave and .rpmnew files...?
> How long does the apps support the old configurations files formats...?

That's the whole point of 'Enterprise' versions.  Updates are never
supposed to disrupt previously working behavior.  It's not perfect,
but if you have any internet exposure I'd guess that the odds of being
hacked if you don't stay up to date over the life of a release are way
higher than having something break if you do.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com