[CentOS] Assign external esata drive to KVM

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Sat Oct 27 01:24:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-21 at 17:32 -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Disks don't have labels, partitions do.  You don't see a partition in
> the KVM guest because the guest is trying to read a partition table from
> inside the partition that you're exporting.

Doh!  I should have known that.

> Instead, use one of the IDs in /dev/disk/by-id.  You should see an ID
> that indicates the disk's model and serial number, which is usable for
> your purpose.

Most awesome - worked!  Thanks a lot for the solution.

NB: I did see the disk IDs when I was trying to fix the problem myself
and before I emailed the list. But, for some reason or another I didn't
actually give it a go.

Regards,

Ranbir

--
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu
Linux 3.5.4-2.fc17.x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux