[CentOS] 8139 dropping packets

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Oct 27 23:49:51 UTC 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 04:40:42PM -0400, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I have a CentOS 5.8 box that is dropping packets (just from ping).
> The network is 8139 RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ Rev 10
>
> Adding the parameters "pci=noacpi acpi=off "
> has helped but it still happens.
>
> Is there something else that helps the network not drop packets?

This probably won't be helpful, but whenever someone inquires about
trouble with a Realtek network chipset someone ALWAYS responds that
Realtek network hardware is junk and that you should replace it
with something good, such as an intel e100 or e1000 or some such.

Me, I've never had trouble with a realtek card, myself.

                     all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."