[CentOS] Gnome Screensaver - not functioning as advertised

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Wed Oct 31 07:46:19 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 08:23 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> Hi List,
> Currently running a couple of CentOS 6.3 workstations / laptops with
> gnome as the default window manager.
> Since the original 6.1 install the behaviour of the screensaver has
> changed.
>
> I use the cosmos theme and have this activate after five minutes of idle.
> Initially, when the five minutes were up, the screen would start to
> dim and if one moved the mouse or hit a key on the keyboard it would
> drop out of screensave and return to full bright screen.
> With one of the updates since then, the behaviour has changed - now
> once the 5 minutes are up - one has to wait until the gradual dimming
> of the screen is complete (a couple of seconds) and only then move the
> mouse or hit a key to show the password dialog - enter password and
> then get a working screen - all quite time consuming.
>
> So I thought, remove the "Lock screen when screensaver is active" - I
> have unchecked this option, logged in and out, and it just ignores it
> and insists on a password - always.
Oops, I lie - my testing involved the use of the <Window><L> or >Sytem >
Lock Screen menu and of course these do lock the screen and need the
password. The auto initiation of screensave after five minutes does now
return to full desktop with mouse movement - however the full 4 second
fade out insists on taking place, b 4 the mouse re-activates the screen
- still undesirable in my view.