[CentOS] Issue installing Centos server on Vmware Fusion/Server

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Wed Oct 31 15:16:43 UTC 2012

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the responses. I was trying with Vmware server and Vmware
> fusion.
>
> Hakan - you're right . Choosing the "other" vm along with "Linux 2.6.x
> kernel " allows me to install the server bit. This is with Vmware fusion.
> With Vmware Workstation, that option doesn't quite appear.  With the above
> "other" and "linux 2.6 kernel" option, it provides it with 384MB of Ram
> and
> 8GB hard disk.  In this case you can't change the Ram which is weird again
> .
>
> Surprisingly, every time you choose a different option,  you'll get
> different settings of Ram and Hard disk .  If you choose "Centos" and
> 64bit
> it allocates it 1gb ram and 20gb hard disk by default . You can change the
> hard disk value though.
>
> Booting with 384MB ram , the gui installer complains saying it doesn't
> have
> enough memory to run but the command line Centos setup comes up correctly
> but there is no network interface! Seems to be a crazy exercise . I guess
> need to play with a few more options here.

What I've found, using VMware player, is that after I've selected the ISO
from which I want to install, I need to go into the VM's properties and
remove the *first* CD/DVD drive...this removes the default option that VMP
tries to use, and then uses the ISO I want it to use.
--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever just
stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1