[CentOS] Sound Stutters and Sputters then dies

Sat Oct 27 18:13:54 UTC 2012
Mark LaPierre <marklapier at aol.com>

Hey Y'all,

Recently my sound has been misbehaving.  The issue exists when I play
sound using Rhythmbox, Totem Movie Player, or even Youtube video in
Firefox or Chrome.  The sound stutters and drops out.  Sounds very
rough.  On Youtube the sound will eventually just die and can not be
restarted until the browser is shut down and restarted.

I've had issues related to Repo Forge packages in the past but there are
no Repo Forge packages on my system.

[mlapier at mushroom ~]$ rpm -qa | grep rf
[mlapier at mushroom ~]$

Does anyone out there have some magic incantations to make Yum
re-install the sound system?

CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
Linux mushroom.patch 2.6.32-279.11.1.el6.i686 #1 SMP Tue Oct 16 14:40:53
UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

--
     _
    °v°