[CentOS] Mount options for NFS

Tue Oct 9 13:48:07 UTC 2012
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

lhecking at users.sourceforge.net wrote:
>  We're experiencing problems with some legacy software when it comes to NFS
>  access. Even though files are visible in a terminal and can be accessed with
>  standard shell tools and vi, this software typically complains that the files
>  are empty or not syntactically correct.
>
>  The NFS filesystems in question are 8TB+ XFS filesystems mounted with
>  "delaylog,inode64,logbsize=32k,logdev=/dev/sda2,nobarrier,quota" options,
>  and I suspect that inode64 may have to do with the observed behaviour. The
>  server is running CentOS 6.3 + all patches.
>
>  The clients exhibiting the problem are running CentOS 5.4 and CentOS 5.8
>  x84_64. Interesting enough, the application (which is available in 32-bit
>  only) appears to work fine on RHEL3 32-bit; we have no CentOS5 32-bit
>  systems to test.
>
>  I was wondering if anyone has seen such behaviour and whether it can be
>  corrected using nfs mount options. The only other solution I have at the
>  moment is reformatting to ext4, i.e. ugly.

I would suspect the inode64 option is the problem

We had similar issues running 32 bit apps on a 64 bit clients accessing
'large' NFS servers (non-Linux NFS servers) - the 'fix' was to make sure
the file systems were exported/mounted with 32 bit inode compatibility

I believe in our case the 32 bit apps in question were not compiled with
large file support (they are/were 3rd party apps). I think if they were
compiled with large file support, then they would work OK.

James Pearson