[CentOS] Skype and Sound

Fri Oct 19 21:05:05 UTC 2012
wwp <subscript at free.fr>

Hello James,

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 11:15:11 -0400 "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca> wrote:

> I have installed Skype 4.0.0.8 on my new workstation running
> CentOS-6.3 (kvm) and the Gnome DTM.  This host has an Intel DG43GT
> motherboard with on-board audio.  The sound works when tested in the
> sound preferences in the desk top.
>
> Skype runs and the integrated usb video and microphone both work (I
> infer this from the mic test in Skype options showing movement on the
> intensity bar as I can hear nothing).
>
> I have gone through all of the choices in the audio setting and none
> of them work.  Are there any other packages or settings I should have
> installed or set to get audio working in skype?

Did you install a 32-bit version of Skype on a 64-bit system? (there's
no 64-bit Skype, yet or ever)

If so, you'll have to install all the 32-bit stuff that Skype needs to
get sound (pulseaudio and more). I remember I had to do this first when
I installed an old Skype 2.x (then updating to 4.x was still OK). I've
found the information online, it was related to Fedora maybe, can't
remember exactly.

Regards,

--
wwp