[CentOS] Assign external esata drive to KVM

Mon Oct 22 00:32:32 UTC 2012
Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com>

On 10/20/2012 09:39 AM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I added the entire drive as a second storage disk to the KVM. I used the
> disk's label (/dev/disk/by-label/backups) so that I wouldn't have to
> worry about the device name changing down the road.  When I booted up
> the KVM and listed the disks, I only saw "/dev/vdb". I was also
> expecting to see "/dev/vdb1".

Disks don't have labels, partitions do.  You don't see a partition in
the KVM guest because the guest is trying to read a partition table from
inside the partition that you're exporting.

Instead, use one of the IDs in /dev/disk/by-id.  You should see an ID
that indicates the disk's model and serial number, which is usable for
your purpose.