[CentOS] Completely automatic yum updating on Centos 6

Fri Oct 26 13:23:50 UTC 2012
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Thursday, October 25, 2012 03:05:56 PM Frank Cox wrote:
> I am about to set up a computer with Centos 6 that I'll probably never see
> again.  I don't want to give out the root password, but I would like to
> have it automatically and transparently update itself.

Now, what I'm about to say may sound a little strange; I am a CentOS user, and
have pretty much standardized on it for my applications.

But, having said that, this is more suited to the Scientific Linux model, where
you can choose to stay at a particular point release and only take security
updates.  There are extra packages for SL that make it easy to implement what
you are wanting to do.

If I were needing to do what you're wanting to do, that's what I'd do, as it's
close enough to CentOS to where everything will work the same way.

But, having said all of that, it must be said that the SL update
'nondisruptive index' is not 100%; it is really close to 100%, but there have
been a few niggles over the years.