[CentOS] [Solved] C6 VM text install not recognizing LV

Leonard den Ottolander leonard at den.ottolander.nl
Mon Sep 10 11:05:26 UTC 2012

Hello James,

On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 14:30 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> WAG?  Is there a partition on the lv that the installer can find?  I
> run into this all the time when using an lv storage pool and an lv
> based virtio drive. I first have to fdisk the newly allocated drive
> and do a partprobe before the vm guest will recognize that it has the
> space.

The volume actually did contain a partition table, but I added it after
accidentally formatting it as ext4. This confused the installer.

Zeroing out the first 5k bytes and recreating the partition table with
fdisk fixes the issue.

I can reproduce this. When adding a partition table with fdisk after
having formatted the volume (as ext4) the installer does not pick up the
volume. Zeroing out of a few sectors (5k works, less might work too) and
recreating the partition table and the installer sees the volume.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Regards,
Leonard.