[CentOS] How to? Set boot up display resolution

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Tue Sep 11 20:44:15 UTC 2012

So, I located the Kernel source documents or something approximating
same:

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/svga.txt

>From this I gather that I probably have to reboot the system to
discover what mode to use.  Is there another way of getting this info
once the system is started?

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

>From this I read:

Advantages:

 * It provides a nice large console (128 cols + 48 lines with 1024x768)
   without using tiny, unreadable fonts.

Now, I would really like to get back to an 80x24/26 cli console
display, preferably centered on the new monitor.  Is this possible?  I
would also like the font to be a bit larger, how is this done?

Is it true, as I have been told, that one can no longer purchase a
'standard' form factor flat panel monitor?  That they only make
widescreens now? Really???

Canada  L8E 3C3