[CentOS] CentOS 6 early panic on ESXi 4.1.0 build 800380

Tilman Schmidt t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Wed Sep 12 11:40:27 UTC 2012

Am 11.09.2012 21:06, schrieb Tilman Schmidt:
> I tried two different CentOS 6 VMs. Both have the latest standard kernel
> (2.6.32-279.5.2.el6.x86_64). Both run perfectly fine on one of the other
> VMware hosts still running ESXi 4.1.0 build 702113. On build 800380,
> both display the GRUB menu alright but freeze immediately afterwards,
> emitting the message
>
> PANIC: early exception 0d rip 10:ffffffff81038879 error 0 cr2 0
>
> on the bottom of the virtual console. Both run perfectly fine again once
> I move them back to the host with the older ESXi build.

Two and a half new data points:

- The problem host has a Xeon E3-1270V2 processor while the one which
  runs the CentOS 6 guests fine has an E3-1230. I'm not sufficiently
  up to date with Intel processor types to tell whether this would
  make a difference.

- Another CentOS 6 VM with older kernel 2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64
  does come up on the problem host. It does a panic blink (Caps Lock
  and Scroll Lock blinking in unison while the VM has the keyboard)
  but I get a working login prompt (I don't get any further because I
  don't have a logon for the machine) and I can shut it down normally
  by sending Ctrl-Alt-Del.

- (the half point, no idea if it matters) The CentOS 6 VMs which
  die with "PANIC: early exception 0d" do *not* do a panic blink.

So it would seem that something related to the problem was changed
in the CentOS kernel between releases 2.6.32-220.7.1 and
2.6.32-279.5.2.

--
Tilman Schmidt
Phoenix Software GmbH