[CentOS] directory /dev/disk/by-label

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Sep 17 09:15:41 EDT 2012

Jerry Geis wrote:
>> Next question: what drive does the system see it as? You can try adding
>> rdshell to the end of the kernel line in grub, which gives you a very
>> rudimentary shell, and you can see what drive the *system* thinks it is.
>> Bet it's not grub's (hd0,0).
> Ok I booted back up this morning with rdshell.
> Was looking around and could really tell much.
> What exactly am I looking for?
> /dev/disk does not exist
> I did not see anything disk related in /dev.
> I tried to mount /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 and got errors on both.
> dmesg gave be output but could not pipe through grep, I could redirect
> to file but then did not know how to view the file by page in rdshell.
You need to read the help while in rdshell. For some obscure reason, there
doesn't seem to be a man page, at least on the first page of googling, and
that after trying a man on it. Try looking at
Yes, I know he's ubuntu, but down here, there's not much difference. The
tab is *very* useful, since it will try autocomplete.

Hope this helps some.