[CentOS] NFS problem

Tony Molloy tony.molloy at ul.ie
Thu Sep 20 02:50:06 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 19 September 2012 23:22:13 Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 09/19/2012 03:00 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > We've been seeing what I gather is an old, traditional problem:
> > kernel: lockd: server<ip address>  not responding, timed out
> >
> > The things I've found, googling, mostly involve rebooting the NFS
> > server, and I can't do that, it's a home directory server for a
> > *bunch* of people, and this is only one person's workstation.
> >
> > Are there other solutions I haven't found yet?
> >
> >         mark

I see the same problem with our student labs every now and then. I
always assumed it was caused by a student power recycling the client
rather than doing a clean reboot to get to Windoze ( dual boot
machines ;-( ) causing NFS to get confused, NFSv3.

It doesn't seem to cause any problems just fills up the server logs
with useless messages. Rebooting the client to Linux usually fixes the