[CentOS] Problems with widescreen (16:9) under CentOS 5 w/ xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.6.5-9.40.el5

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun Sep 23 06:03:54 EDT 2012

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012, Robert Heller wrote:

> These machine boot off the network and then mount their root (/), /usr,
> and /home file systems via NFS from the server and function otherwise
> as normal workstations.  And they work great with 4:3 monitors.
> Recently, because of new cataloging and circulation software which
> seems to have been designed by (open source) developers who probably
> have new widescreen monitors on their machines, we have put widescreen
> (16:9) monitors on three of the machines (various menus and toolbars
> don't fit on a 4:3 monitor, even at 1280x1024 [19-20" monitor]).  But
> we are having some problems getting the proper aspect ratio (or even a
> display at all) on two of the three.

Hi Rob.

What desktop GUI are these machines using?

Is there some way you get each machine to use it's own
custom xorg.conf file, that you can tweak for each
particular machine?

I use this this in my PC running Centos 5.8 32 bit,
and XFCE desktop, to give me a tall virtual screen that I
can scroll around vertically:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
         Identifier     "single head configuration"
         Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0

Section "InputDevice"
         Identifier  "Keyboard0"
         Driver      "kbd"