[CentOS] rename network card device /dev/p3p2 to /dev/eth0

KNOPS Manfred

Manfred.KNOPS at 3ds.com
Thu Sep 27 05:19:09 UTC 2012

Hello,

My name is Manfred. I have to install a flexlm license server on a pc with centos 6.3 as operating system.
This machine contains two network cards. An Ethernet card and a wifi card.
For the Ethernet card centos generates a device called p3p2.
For the wifi card centos generates a device called wlan0.

In this configuration the flexlm license program called lmgrd only got the mac address of wlan0.
The vendor daemon got no mac address as host ID.

Yesterday I made one test. Therefore I edited /etc/udev/rules.d/70-peristant-net.rules. This file contains only one line. This line defines how to name the device for the wifi card. I changed the name Option from name="wlan0" to name="eth0". After rebooting centos generates a device called /dev/et0. Both lmgrd and vendor daemon found the host ID. But lmgrd and safetech can't communicate together.

As next I will try to rename /dev/p3p2 which is the device for the Ethernet card. I guess, if I can generate a device called /dev/eth0 for the Ethernet card the license server should work. But in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persitant-net.rules is no rule for this device.

How can I configure centos to generate /dev/eth0  for the Ethernet card?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards / Cordialement,

Manfred

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential and/or privileged.

If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this email in error,

(ii) please notify sender of your receipt by reply email and delete this email and all attachments,

(iii) Dassault Systemes does not accept or assume any liability or responsibility for any use of or reliance on this email.

For other languages, go to http://www.3ds.com/terms/email-disclaimer