[CentOS] High memory needs

Jérémie Dubois-Lacoste jeremie.dl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 08:57:51 UTC 2012

We have a computing cluster running Sun Grid Engine, which
considers this value to check if a process exceeds the memory
limit or not. So somehow I'm bound to consider it.

I installed a machine from scratch with CentOS 6.2 x64, nothing
else, I open a terminal, I run this simple bash script and VIRT
goes beyond 100MB for it.
I understand it may not be very precise, however I still don't
understant the difference compared to other x64 ditributions,
under CentOS the value is 7 times higher!