[CentOS] Routing issue

Manish Kathuria mkathuria at tuxtechnologies.co.in
Thu Sep 27 15:01:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com> wrote:
> On 09/26/2012 11:57 PM, Manish Kathuria wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:
>
> On 09/26/2012 09:15 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
>
> Is there a way to make this work correctly?
>
> In addition, you should ideally  applying the following patches for
> Static, Alternative Routes, Dead Gateway Detection & NAT and recompile
> the kernel:
>
> http://www.ssi.bg/~ja/#routes
>

> Hmmm... not being a kernel guru, correct me if I am wrong but isn't  the
> route patch used to detect dead nexthops?
> I am already doing that from userspace.
>
> The second set looks like is calls the routing logic after the SNAT, is that
> correct? This could solve the problem.
> Why aren't these patches in the kernel?
>
> Thanks,

The routes-x.y-z.diff is a unified patch containing different parts
which include support for Dead Gateway Detection as well.  However,
since that is limited to the first hop, it is preferable to have a
userspace script as you are doing. I also use a script to check the
accessibility of a remote popular site from each of the ISPs and based
upon the response the links are treated alive or dead and the default
gateway is changed. However, the routing problem as described by you
will only be solved after applying this patch (routes-x.y-z.diff).

As for marking the incoming packets to ensure that they go out from
the same interface they came from, you could do something like the
following:

Using iptables mark the incoming traffic from external interfaces

/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --restore-mark
/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -j CONNMARK --restore-mark
/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -j MARK  --set-mark 1
/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth1 -j CONNMARK --save-mark
/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth2 -j MARK  --set-mark 2
/sbin/iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth2 -j CONNMARK --save-mark

Add the following rules to your existing ones for policy routing

/sbin/ip rule add fwmark 1 table T1
/sbin/ip rule add fwmark 2 table T2

Thanks,
--