[CentOS] 11TB ext4 filesystem - filesystem alternatives?

James A. Peltier jpeltier at sfu.ca
Fri Sep 28 23:22:10 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
| Hi All.
|
| I have a CentOS server:
|
| CentOS 5.6 x86_64
| 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5.centos.plus
| e4fsprogs-1.41.12-2.el5.x86_64
|
| which has a 11TB ext4 filesystem. I have problems with running fsck
| on it
| and would like to change the filesystem because I do not like the
| possibility of running long fsck on it, it's a production machine.
| Also I
| have some problems with running fsck (not enough RAM, problem with
| scratch_files option) and if the filesystem will need intervention I
|  will
| be in a problematic situation.
|
| Which other mature and stable filesystem can you recommend for such
| large
| storage?
|
| Best regards,
| Rafal Radecki.

As someone who is working with 15-30TB volumes, use XFS, but be sure you have a lot of memory. 48GB at least and more if you have directories with 10s of thousands of files in them.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington