[CentOS] Odd issue with XFS quotas reporting 8192.0EB in use

Mon Sep 17 20:04:04 UTC 2012
James A. Peltier <jpeltier at sfu.ca>

Hi All,

I have this very odd issue where after a migration we have some users who have quotas showing 8192.0EB in use, when in reality on disk there is only a couple hundred megabytes.

The host in question is a:

* CentOS 6.3 host with mostly latest patches (except latest glibc patches)
* running in SELinux Enforcing mode (Permissive doesn't seem to help)
* all file systems are on Logical Volumes
* all XFS file systems are mounted defaults,uquota,grpquota
* have the following XFS packages installed
    - xfsprogs-3.1.1-7.el6.x86_64
    - xfsdump-3.0.4-2.el6.x86_64

It's really odd because I can see no rhyme nor reason for these users to have this 8192.0EB allocation.  It's also odd that is 8192 in the first place.  Any ideas from anyone on how I might go about troubleshooting this?  In some cases creating a 1 byte file owned by the user after the quota has been set worked.  For some it was 10M, for others 100M file was needed.  I'm at a total loss here and it's our primary file server so rebooting it would be a huge pain.

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group
E-Mail  : jpeltier at sfu.ca
Website : http://www.sfu.ca/itservices
          http://blogs.sfu.ca/people/jpeltier

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington