[CentOS] slapd 100% cpu

Fri Sep 21 15:17:41 UTC 2012
Darod Zyree <darodzyree at gmail.com>

2012/9/21  <m.roth at 5-cent.us>:
> Darod Zyree wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> We have been attempting to set up a centos ldap server and then tried
>> to log in with a user account specified in our ldap environment on a
>> centos workstation.
>>
>> As soon as we attempt any kind of login from the centos workstation,
>> be it via gdm or su ldap_user, the slapd process on the ldap server
>> goes to 100% cpu.
>>
>> Is this normal behaviour?
>
> As underwhelmed as I was when I was working with openldap a few years ago,
> I never saw that behaviour. My first thought would be to wonder if you had
> some circular loops in your configuration. You have tried doing lookups of
> users using the ldap tool, right?
>
>        mark

You mean something like this?

[root at pc1 /]# ldapsearch -x -b "cn=Darod Zyree,ou=users,dc=local,dc=test"
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=Darod Zyree,ou=users,dc=local,dc=test> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# Darod Zyree, users, local.test
dn: cn=Darod Zyree,ou=users,dc=local,dc=test
cn: Darod Zyree
givenName: Darod
gidNumber: 500
sn: Zyree
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
userPassword:: e01ENX03cVVOakFLS1ZBVkZhMWhXaWNTaE1BPT0=
uidNumber: 1000
uid: dzyree
loginShell: /bin/bash
homeDirectory: /home/dzyree

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

This works on both the server and the workstation without any issue,
not even causing 100% slapd cpu.