[CentOS] High memory needs

Wed Sep 26 17:56:35 UTC 2012

Jérémie Dubois-Lacoste wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We recently reinstalled our computing cluster.  We were using CentOS
> 5.3 (32 bits).  It is now CentOS 6.3 (64 bits), installed from the
> CentOS 6.2 x64 CD, then upgraded to 6.3.
>
> We have some issues with the memory needs of our running jobs. They
> require much more than before, it may be due to the switch from 32 to
> 64 bits, but to me this cannot explain the whole difference.

Why not? The numbers you post, unless I'm misreading them, are about twice
what the 32-bit were.
<nsip>
> 3. Open a R session and check the memory used
<snip>
> Bash script:
>                Avg      Min       Max
> 32 bits     5400    4192      9024
> 64 bits     12900  10000      16528

              5400 * 2 = 10800
              4192 * 2 = 8296
              9024 * 2 = 18048

> Python script:
>                Avg      Min       Max
> 32 bits    8500     5004      11132
> 64 bits    32800   30000      36336

8500 * 2 = 17000
5004 * 2 = 10007
11132 * 2 = 22264

So that ranges from 2-2.5 larger.

> R:
>                Avg      Min       Max
> 32 bits    26900   21000     33452
> 64 bits    100200 93008      97496

Same here, about 2 - 2.5 times larger. More larger variables.
<snip>
> Then we ran the same things on our CentOS cluster, getting
> surprisingly high results. I installed a machine from scratch with the
> CentOS CD (6.2 x64) to be sure another component of the cluster was
> not playing a role. On this freshly installed machine I get the
> following results:
> SH:          103MB
> PYTHON: 114MB
> R:            200MB
>
> So, compared to the highest of our users (among the 64 bits ones), we
> have a ratio of ~7, ~3, ~2, respectively.
>
> It is very problematic for us because many jobs now cannot run
> properly, because they lack memory on most of our computing nodes.
> So we really cannot stand the situation...
>
> Do you see any reason for this? Do you have suggestions?

First, what kind of compute cluster is this? Are you using something like
torque, or what? Second, how much memory do you have in each of the nodes?
And how many cores?

         mark