[CentOS] flashing a BIOS on an HP server

Tue Apr 30 19:13:08 UTC 2013

Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: m.roth at 5-cent.us Sent: April 30, 2013 11:45
>>
>>    The upshot: does anyone here have a clue as to whether I can flash
>> update the BIOS with the latest update, or whether I actually have to
>> do the older one first?
>
> I do not have experience with the DL580G5 however we do have several
> DL360G5 and DL380G5 units and the firmware upgrade should be a piece
> of cake:
>
> 1. Download the Firmware CD.
>
> 2. Burn it to disk.
>
> 3. Boot from the CD.

Well, more like create a bootable flash drive and copy the .exe to it -
there doesn't seem to be *anything* other than the damn .exe.

> 4. Answer a few questions and let it do its thing.

Is that like the Dell, where it "inventories the system", then *tells* you
if it's for this hardware, and that it's newer (or not) than what's there?

> 5. Bobs your uncle you are done.
>
> It should not matter what the current firmware is.

THAT is what I was hoping for. Thank you, very much.

       mark