[CentOS] floppy drives

Louis Lagendijk louis at fazant.net
Mon Apr 8 16:55:06 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-04-08 at 12:21 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> That I don't know, and was trying to think of a way to test it. As I noted
> in another post, the 5.25" light seems to stay on, and I *think* that was
> the one I had disconnected before. I also think I mentioned that after
> bringing it down, connecting, and rebooting, I looked at the BIOS, and it
> told me it *only* saw the 3.5" drive.
> <snip>
That is why I thought of the cable/drive issue. Please keep in mind that
the bios versions I recall did not detect a drive unless it was told
that there was one (you had to even specify the type/ format of the
drive)
> > Any chance that
> It *looks* like udev knows about it, since it created /dev/fd0 and the
> related devices.
>
>From what I recall, the OS gets the information on what is there from
the bios. Look around in the bios and check if you can specify the
format of the floppy drives somewhere...
And the comment about checking if the cable has been put on upside down
(on either side). Please note tat the twist in the cable sits between
drive a and b. Still 4 possibilities to try.

Louis