[CentOS] How to patch a CentOS6 kernel

Michael Mol

mikemol at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 13:38:01 UTC 2013

So I have a couple patches supplied to me by upstream in relation to a
kernel bug[1], but I can't figure out how to patch the kernel. The
CentOS wiki page discusses retrieving the kernel source[2], but doesn't
describe how to apply patches. Instructions I've found apply to CentOS5,
and RH has changed their kernel packaging since then.

I've been banging my head on this off and on for quite a while, now.
I've mucked with Gentoo and Debian packaging, but kernel RPMs are a new
one for me...

[1] http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=6343
[2] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/I_need_the_Kernel_Source