[CentOS] How to determine why a server is not responding

nan del bosc nandelbosc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 15:59:58 UTC 2013

Thank's for your quick answer!

I can't use ipmi in this machine...

# ipmitool sel
Could not open device at /dev/ipmi0 or /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0: No
such file or directory
Get SEL Info command failed

# modprobe ipmi_si
FATAL: Error inserting ipmi_si
(/lib/modules/2.6.18-194.26.1.el5xen/kernel/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si.ko):
No such device

# lsmod  |grep ipmi
ipmi_watchdog          52641  0
ipmi_devintf           44753  0
ipmi_msghandler        73369  2 ipmi_watchdog,ipmi_devintf

This is a Virtual Server from 1and1, I cannot access the BIOS...

any other idea?

2013/4/11 <m.roth at 5-cent.us>

> nan del bosc wrote:
> > Hi to all!
> >
> > We're using CentOS 5.5 64bits for our Plesk 11.
> >
> > This week we had the following problem 3 times...
> >
> > Suddenly, the server stops responding in all services (SSH, Apache,
> > Postfix, ...) but ping works!
> >
> > After wait a few minutes (or 2 hours some times) the server continues
> > unresponsive until we reboot. After reboot we search on /var/log/messages
> > but cannot find useful information...
> <snip>
>
> A quick google shows me that the postfix messages are just that, and you
> might want to fix it so it's not asking for it.
>
> HOWEVER, the important thing is that it appears to have just gone
> completely unresponsive. I've seen that happen to some servers here, and
> we've never found any clues.... On the other hand, IIRC, they tended to be
> boxes that we've had other problems with, and have had a number rebuilt
> under warranty (mostly Penguins, and the problems I've had with them, as
> they're all Supermicro m/b's, told me to NEVER buy a Supermicro m/b).
>
> The only thing I can suggest trying might be to use ipmitool (assuming you
> don't want to bring them down and look in the BIOS) to read the SEL
> (system event log), to look for hardware errors.
>
>         mark

---
Salut!