[CentOS] centos 6.3 ipv6 default gateway

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Apr 11 19:50:04 UTC 2013

Slight Clarification on v6 addressing...

On Thu, 2013-04-11 at 15:38 -0400, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> Those may be routed between your machines but may not be routed on the
> global net either as a source or destination address.  Your machines
> should also be given "link local" addresses which are valid only on that
> network segment.  They're in the fe80::/64 prefix.

That's "should" as in the kernel should already have assigned your
link-local v6 addresses to your interfaces.  You don't have to provide
them and I didn't mean to imply you needed to add them.

Generally, if I'm using static IPv6 addresses, I take that link local
address and replace the "fe80::" with the network prefix I'm assigning
and leave the lower bits the same.  That way it has the same address as
would be assigned by stateless autoconf generated from router
advertisements from a router.

On Linux routers, you would use either zebra from the quagga package or
radvd to provide router advertisements out to your clients and you'll
probably need to add that to get the end clients to self configure
properly.

Regards,
Mike