[CentOS] RAID 6 - opinions

David C. Miller millerdc at fusion.gat.com
Fri Apr 12 00:04:26 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

The LSI 9200's I use are nothing more than a dumb $300 host bus adapter. No RAID levels or special features. I prefer to NOT use hardware RAID controllers when I can. With a generic HBA the hard drives are seen raw to the OS. You can use smartctl to poll and test the drives just like they were connected to a generic SATA bus on the motherboard. The tools built into Linux(smartd & md) are better suited and more flexible at reporting problems and handling every level of RAID. It also makes migrating the array to another system trivial. I don't have to worry about finding the exact same RAID controller. Just a no frills SAS/SATA HBA will do.

David.